Friday, May 17, 2013

Wanted: Generous

How generous are you?


In my prayer, I asked the Lord about the double "G": generosity and giving, because I'm having trouble with this area. He knows that my last week's offering was the last bill in my purse, so I told God today that I only have some coins left which means that might be the amount I'll be giving tomorrow.

After that prayer, I opened the Bible in 2 Corinthians 8 and surprisingly, the first 15 verses speaks about generosity! (What a perfect timing!) I read the whole text about generosity and  focused on two verses which suits my situation.

"Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity" - 2 Corinthians 8:2 

I am actually waiting on God's blessings, because I gave last Sunday and I am holding on His promises I expected that right away I'll be blessed materially. But, something strikes my heart and as if I did something wrong. Suddenly, a question puffs up like a mushroom.

What was really your intention when you put the envelop inside the basket? Were you blessing the Lord because you are expecting something in return? Or were you giving because that is an ACT of your LOVE to God?

An atomic bomb explodes in my heart and formed in an image of mushroom. (OUCH!)
I was selfish. I was not generous, but self-centered. Even I feel like I want to quit reading, God told me to go on.

Paul was referring to the generosity of the Macedonian Churches. Paul was appealing to the Church of Corinthians to take their generosity as an example. The Generosity of the Macedonian Church was out of:

1. Most severe trial.

The word "most" is superlative, which means superiority or highest and the word "severe" means extremely bad or unpleasant; incurable, and lastly the word trial means "act of testing".

Let's think of the most doomed situation in life, poverty, starvation, slavery, natural calamities, economic fluctuation and more. The people in Macedonia (even if my examples were exaggerated) were able to give generously despite of their "most severe trial".


The most in need people are mostly generous. They give not because they have plenty but because they know what it feels to have nothing. So since, this is an act of testing we should give more in times of we have less.


2. Overflowing Joy.

You must be thinking that this people might have gone crazy! Who would be able to have OVERFLOWING JOY in times of pain and hardships?

Actually aside from the Macedonian Church, I know another one. It is the Filipinos. They smile and laugh despite of calamities and hardships in life, not because they are used to it but because they don't focus on the circumstances, they are hopeful. So every time a typhoon will hit their country, they are ready to be waterproof.


The church must be overflowing with joy in times of trials because once more they will able to witness God's miracle and power. So each time you will experience hardships, close your eyes, lift your head and smile on the Big Guy above and say "Bro! Kaw po bahala sa akin ah!"


3. Extreme Poverty.

WHAAAAAAT?!!

Could somebody be generous out of poverty? BIG YES!
This people were not really normal from you expect to see in others. People may think you're crazy because you act not fittingly in their world, but let me remind you this: You may be in this world, but you don't belong here because you are a child of God.

God's child can always be generous despite of severe trials and poverty. Why? Because their father owns everything. Generosity is not always based on material things and money. It is boundless and in every way they could express and give it.


So how are they doing it? How did this people we're able to give generosity and have overflowing joy regardless of these factors?

Here is the answer:

"And now brothers we want you to know about the GRACE that God has given the Macedonian Churches." -2 Corinthians 8:1

The answer is just above the verse we focused on. Same thing, the answer is the Big Guy above. His never ending grace will enable us to be generous. His grace is the inner force that drives the Macedonian Churches to do crazy things for his Glory. So are you ready to be driven by His grace to be generous?

God bless your pocket and wallet! Hehehehe! Let's be generous! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment